For the holidays, we pull out all the jingle bells + whistles. From planning the menu and setting the scene to perfecting the perfect playlist, we take pride in throwing the most memorable events beaming with candlelight and happy drunken faces. It can be pretty simple, really. Here's how we make the holidays happen:
set a theme
It’s the most wonderful time of the year! Pick a theme and let’s get festive. Martini’s + Mistletoe? Tipsy + Toast? Let’s get ugly, holiday sweater party? Once you pick your theme it’s easy to plan your décor around your seasonal style.
MAKE THE GUEST LIST
Great guests make grandiose parties. Make your list, check it twice and then you can start planning out what you have and what you need.
invite the party parade
There’s nothing like the feeling of tearing open a paper invitation. But ain’t nobody got time for that. Paperless Post is the bees knees and no this post isn’t sponsored. We're obsessed with their easy, gorgeous Evites that are ready to kick off your event.
SET THE TABLE
Once we confirm the guest list, we know how many place settings to set. When setting any table we start by going through the basics (not necessarily all on the same table):
- Linens: Tablecloth, Runner, Placemats, Napkins
- Table Décor: Chargers, Napkin Rings, Placecards, Candlesticks + Votive Holders, Vases + Table chotchke’s to scatter down the runway.
- Dinneware: Dinner Plates, Salad Plates, Soup Bowls, Tidbit Dishes
- Flatware: Forks, Knives, Spoons, Appetizer + Dessert Tools
- Glassware: Wine, Champagne, Water, Coffee, Pitchers + Carafes
- Serveware: Appetizer Plates, Platters, Bowls, Trays, Dessert Stands, Salt + Pepper Shakers, Butter + Gravy Dishes
We love adding texture and layers to create a luxurious tablescape. And since we’re obviously big, HUGE fans of Pinterest for tablescape inspiration, this year we’re combining styles from our favorite bloggers of Sacramento Street, 100 Layer Cake, Inspired by This, and DIY’ing these cork trees like it’s nobody’s business. Checkout our inspiration tab on Table + Dine to shop the look from our favorite blogger’s tablescapes.
HAVE A SIGNATURE DRINK
Everyone loves a signature drink. Shake up something festive that tickles your fancy. This year we’re mixing up these Cranberry Margaritas and signature staple drink: Prosecco with a splash of St. Germain. Always keep the bar well stocked with the essentials so guests can also sip on their bevs of choice.
BAR CART ESSENTIALS:
- Champagne, Wine, Beer
- Spirits: Well Vodka, Whiskey, Gin, St. Germain, Tequila
- Mixers: Tonic, Soda, Cranberry, OJ, Sparkling Juices
- Cocktail napkins + Ice. You NEVER want to run out of ice. Ever. Ever. Ever.
- Tools: Shakers, Muddler, Jigger, Mixing Glass, Ice Bucket + Tongs
- Garnish: Rosemary, Oranges, Limes, Lemons, or even a striped straw or stir stick will do the trick.
Need some kid friendly drinks? The creative folks over at Pottery Barn Kids came up with 3 festive peppermint drinks that look de-lish.
SET THE MOOD
Dim lighting and candles are guaranteed to put everyone in the mood to eat, drink + be merry. Deck the tables with (unscented) candles and the glow of the Christmas tree will make your event feel pretty cozy.
PRESS PLAY + PARTY ON
You can’t be the DJ during your own event, we want you in the moment mingling with your guests. Create your playlist ahead of time, make it long enough to fill the night and hit play. We like to organize songs in order from when people start arriving, to schmoozing over cocktails, eating dinner, doing a little dance and then winding down. Need a playlist, here you go.
MAY ALL YOUR PARTIES BE MERRY WITH MISTLETOE!
XX // ALLIE + DEB